The University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) provides advice to the Provost in relation to academic positions, appointments, confirmations and promotions, as required by the Human Resources Delegations in the Vice-Chancellor's Delegations Manual.
Terms of Reference
The committee’s terms of reference are outlined in the Academic Appointment, Performance and Promotion Policy. In accordance with this policy, UAPC also:
- Recommends to the Provost an outcome regarding a decision to appoint without advertising and appointing by invitation (fixed-term and continuing Level E);
- Reports successful Level E appointments and promotions to the Academic Board; and
- Receives reports (for information) on appointments through recruitment processes for honorary Level E appointments of full professors:
- at a Group of Eight, Universitas 21, Asia Pacific Rim Universities, China 9 group institution; or
- at an institution ranked, in the last three years, in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) top 100 institutions; or
- who are recognised as a Level E equivalent by the NH&MRC or ARC; or
- who are members of the following learned academies: Australian Academy of the Humanities, Australian Academy of Science, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Academy of Social Sciences in Australia. The Royal Society, The British Academic, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, American Academy of Arts and Letters, American Academy of Political and Social Science.
Decisions made by the Provost, on the advice of UAPC, are reported to Council on an annual basis.
Professor Mark Considine, Provost – (Chair)
Professor Richard James, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic and Undergraduate)
Professor Nilss Olekalns, President, Academic Board
Professor James McCluskey, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), Chancellery
Professor Janet Hergt, Vice-President of the Academic Board, Faculty of Science
Professor Jenny Morgan, Melbourne Law School
Professor Lesley Head, Faculty of Science
Professor Deli Chen, Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences
Professor Mark Cook, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
Professor Sandra Kentish, Melbourne School of Engineering
Professor Lesley Farrell, Melbourne Graduate School of Education
Professor Gillian Wigglesworth, Faculty of Arts
Ms Holly Turton, Finance and Employee Services
Ms Holly Davis, Chancellery (Academic & International)
UAPC nominees are selected and invited by the Provost, on the advice of UAPC, to serve as members of FAPCs.
For queries about UAPC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting Dates 2018
|Tuesday 20 February|
|Tuesday 20 March|
|Tuesday 17 April|
|Tuesday 15 May|
|Tuesday 19 June|
|Tuesday 17 July|
|Tuesday 21 August|
|Tuesday 18 September|
|Tuesday 2 October|
|Tuesday 9 October|
|Tuesday 16 October|
|Tuesday 20 November|
|Tuesday 18 December|
Melbourne Enterprise Professors and Fellows
In 2015, the University introduced the following appointment titles to facilitate and recognise the appointment of industry leaders and experts at the University:
Enterprise appointments are highly selective to ensure appointees bring distinctive knowledge and skills that would be otherwise unavailable to the institution. Professorial-level Enterprise appointments are highly distinguished positions.