The University of Melbourne Awards were conceived in the University’s 160th year to recognise individuals who have made an outstanding and enduring contribution to the identity and standing of the University.
This includes academic and professional staff members who, through their professional work, teaching, research, scholarship, engagement or institutional leadership, have contributed to the University’s advancement as a public education institution and contributed to the intellectual and public life of the broader community.
Award recipients are acknowledged with bronze plaques interspersed in the paving on Professors Walk on the Parkville campus.
Previous recipients of the award may be found on the University’s Our History webpage.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Those selected for the University of Melbourne Award will be former staff members who, since the University’s foundation in 1853, have made an outstanding and enduring contribution to the identity and standing of the University that has stood the test of time through their:
- institutional leadership which has helped contribute to the advancement of the University as a public education institution; or
- contribution to the intellectual and public life of the broader community with which the University engages, thereby enhancing the public standing of the University; or
- research or scholarship which has helped contribute to the academic standing of the University.
Nomination and Award Approval Process
Nominations for 2016 University of Melbourne Awards have now closed. Nomination guidelines and process material are provided here for information only.
Nominations must be submitted on the nomination form, meet the eligibility and address the selection criteria, and include a:
- short biography of no more than one page; and
- statement of no more than two pages, outlining why the nominee should be recognised through the University of Melbourne Awards.
Nominations must be electronically to Simon Purtell, Chancellery (Academic & International).
The Provost-convened University of Melbourne Awards Selection Committee considers nominations for the award and makes recommendations for final approval by the Vice-Chancellor.
Dr Simon Purtell
Policy & Strategy Advisor, Chancellery, Academic & International
Phone: +61 3 8344 0592