The University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) provides advice to the Provost in relation to academic positions, appointments, confirmations and promotions, as required by the Human Resources Delegations in the Vice-Chancellor's Delegations Manual.
Terms of Reference
The committee’s terms of reference are outlined in the Academic Appointment, Performance and Promotion Policy. In accordance with this policy, UAPC also:
- Recommends to the Provost an outcome regarding a decision to appoint without advertising and appointing by invitation (fixed-term and continuing Level E);
- Reports successful Level E appointments and promotions to the Academic Board; and
- Receives reports (for information) on appointments through recruitment processes for honorary Level E appointments of full professors:
- at a Group of Eight, Universitas 21, Asia Pacific Rim Universities, China 9 group institution; or
- at an institution ranked, in the last three years, in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) top 100 institutions; or
- who are recognised as a Level E equivalent by the NH&MRC or ARC; or
- who are members of the following learned academies: Australian Academy of the Humanities, Australian Academy of Science, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Academy of Social Sciences in Australia. The Royal Society, The British Academic, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, American Academy of Arts and Letters, American Academy of Political and Social Science.
Decisions made by the Provost, on the advice of UAPC, are reported to Council on an annual basis.
Professor Margaret Sheil, Provost (Chair)
Professor James McCluskey, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
Professor Richard James, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) (Joint Deputy Chair)
Professor Nilss Olekalns, President, Academic Board (Joint Deputy Chair)
Professor Pip Nicholson, Vice-President, Academic Board
Professor Janet Hergt, Deputy Vice-President, Academic Board
Professor Jenny Morgan
Professor Deli Chen
Professor Mark Cook
Professor Jon Cattapan
Ms Jessie Macintyre, Finance and Employee Services
Ms Lauren Reader, Chancellery (Academic & International)
UAPC nominees are selected and invited by the Provost, on the advice of UAPC, to serve as members of FAPCs.
For queries about UAPC, please contact email@example.com.
Meeting Dates 2017
|Tuesday 21 February|
|Tuesday 21 March|
|Monday 10 April|
|Monday 15 May|
|Tuesday 20 June|
|Tuesday 18 July|
|Tuesday 15 August|
|Thursday 21 September|
|Monday 2 October|
|Tuesday 10 October|
|Tuesday 16 October|
|Monday 13 November|
|Wednesday 13 December|
Melbourne Enterprise Professors and Fellows
In 2015, the University introduced the following appointment titles to facilitate and recognise the appointment of industry leaders and experts at the University:
Enterprise appointments are highly selective to ensure appointees bring distinctive knowledge and skills that would be otherwise unavailable to the institution. Professorial-level Enterprise appointments are highly distinguished positions.